Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Time flies by...

I can't believe it's almost been a month since I've last posted anything. And it's not for lack of new things to talk about. I've just been busy so I'll do a quick round-up of the latest activities.



1) ANZAC Day (April 25) - This is a holiday in remembrance of Australia and New Zealand's Corps who fought in WWI in Turkey. It usually starts with dawn service (as early as 4am), followed by parades. It's very similar to what happen's in Ottawa on Remembrance Day. That part of the day in itself, we spent sleeping in. I saw the parade a few years back and as much fun as it was to see, I did not feel I needed to see it again. What I was more interested in, was part II of the day in which drinking like it's St. Patty's day and playing two-up is par for the course. As a result, I won $20 playing heads vs. tails with a bunch of rowdy strangers in pubs. The game is normally an illegal form of gambling expect between noon until sunset on ANZAC Day.

2) Visiting the giant pineapple

A couple of weekends ago, I went up north with my boyfriend to visit his family. I have now met most uncles, aunt, cousins and grandparents. On our first full day, we had a bit of a road-trip with some of the cousins and we ended our "touristy" day trip to the Sunshine Coast with a visit to the famous giant pineapple.


3) Mother's Day Classic - This is an annual fun run/walk of 4km and 8km that gives money into research into breast cancer. In 2006, this was my first official race and I finished with a time around 28 minutes or so for the 4km run. This year, I did a personal best for that race and ran the 4km in 23:08 placing me in position 432 out of 2847 participants and 38 in my category (of 278). Considering I'm still having issues with my knees and I stayed up late for a friend's birthday the night before, that is a huge improvement I'm really happy with. Next race: 14km for the City2Surf in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment