Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Unemployed or self-employed?

During the last week, my life has changed a bit. What’s happened is that I no longer work at the bakery. I had known for a little while that I would end up wanting a change of work, but it all happened much faster than I thought, without any other seriously good job prospect in sight, and it ended on of sour note.

Walking home that day, I was talking to my boyfriend about how the events of the day turned out and the conversation ended with him telling me something along the lines of “Welcome to your first day of full-time freelancing!"



A few months ago I wrote about how I’d started doing some writing with PlaceForPeople. I’m happy to say I’m still contributing. Although things have been a bit slow on my side the past month, more of my profiles have been published. In my spare time, I’ve also been writing down a few ideas and I’m slowly getting in the groove of turning a few of my scribbles into publishable material so that I can build myself a swanky portfolio. I’m also sending queries to various editors when I think I have a brilliant idea for their publication.

The whole process almost feels like being back in school because I have so much to learn if I want to be able to make a living using words. Getting motivated is not always easy because no one is there to give me specific assignments or deadlines. At the same time not having a salary is a pretty good motivator. I’m lucky I don’t have to worry as far as having a roof, food go for now, but I can’t do nothing (and like most people, I do owe a bit of money).

In the mean time, I’m also offering my services as a French tutor. I offer private sessions (one-on-one and small groups) to help people learn or improve themselves, but I also offer my services in other areas (visual arts, philosophy, baking and cooking). My first lesson is happening tomorrow, and I have 2 more this weekend. Most of you who read this are not in Sydney, but if you are or know someone who is, feel free to pass around my contact info, or my tutoring add.

And last on my list of things to do, I’ve decided to put the “no-cube for a year resolution” to the side and I’ve started sending out my resume to communications (internal and external), event planning and writing jobs in Sydney. I’ve had fun living a different life as a baker for a few months, but with future visitors on the way and a possible relocation for 2011, I’ve decided that the pursuit of travel is more important than that of the cube-free life.

Not bad for less than a week of unemployment as a self-employed freelancer and tutor, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment