Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My progress on the "no-cube-for-a-year" resolution

Most of you already know of my 2010 resolution which is to stay out of the cube for a least a year to try out all the job I wish I had done, and try new things. One of them, I had done a bit of in the past, but wanted to spend a bit more time doing this year. With the baking now underway, I still have plenty of time to work on other adventures. Today, I'm talking about......freelance writing.


I want to figure out a way to use the writing skills I gained in school, at university and in the cube, to be able to do some work on my own time, and to write about things I care about. So far, so good. I've gotten in contact with a group of people, called PlaceForPeople, who are looking to eventually build a platform (think facebook and twitter type of applications) that would be specific to not-for-profits, volunteer-run, community-based types of organizations.

Before the platform comes to life, the basic step of research is critical, and that's where I come into play. For the past few weeks, and hopefully for many more to come, I've been meeting with various people in Sydney (and outside, as long as they are Australian) to interview them and ask questions about what their organisation does, how they communicate with their public and volunteers, what are their main challenges, etc.

This morning, as I was checking my emails, and simply having a look at the blog to see if any new posts had been added, and I realized MY FIRST INTERVIEW IS PUBLISHED. Yay for me! I even have a short bio. Fancy....

I really enjoy talking to the people who've given me their time so far and I hope this will keep working out. I get a huge sense of satisfaction whenever I am done with an interview, almost like an adrenaline rush, I get to meet lovely people and I am learning more about Sydney, its organizations and what's happening in the city (and even around the country and the world), and I'm doing writing in a style very similar to what I I used to do.

And the best part? No grey cube walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment